Fresh spinach roasted in onion and coconut can be a side dish for rice or eaten as a salad
Tips for this recipe
Chop the spinach or break it with your hands. If you have to wash the spinach drain it until leaves are dry, else the thoran will be watery.
If the thoran is watery, leave the mix in the pan for little longer without cover.
- 1 lb chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp dal or any lentils (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- Heat oil in a 10 inch chef pan in medium heat. Add mustard seeds and when all the seeds are popped, add lentil and let it brown
- Add onion and saute until light brown. Add chili powder, cumin powder and salt and mix well
- Add spinach in batches waiting for each batch to welt. Once all the spinach are in the pan and welted, add coconut and mix well
- Stir for 5 minutes. Turn of the heat and spread the spinach in the pan so water, if any, will evaporate.
- Servings : 4
- Ready in : 45 Minutes