Moong Dal with Tomatoes is a healthy vegetarian curry which can be a side dish for either Rice or any Indian bread.
Tips for this Recipe
Wash the Dal in cool (room temperature) water until the water is clear. Pour 2 cups of water in a 2 qt sauce pan or chef pan, add the washed dal and add –
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
Cook in medium heat until Dal is soft to touch. Add more water if needed.
Note: Dal foams when it boils and may spill over making a mess of your stove. Cook in low heat without the lid to avoid spill. Some people leave a wooden spoon in the saucepan while cooking to prevent spilling. Removing the foam often while cooking also helps.
- 1/2 cup Moog Dal
- 1 small (4 oz ) tomato chopped
- 1 small (4 oz) red onion chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cumin seed
- ¼ tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook the Dal as per instructions above
- Heat the oil in a separate 8 – 10 inch non-stick saucepan and add the mustard seeds. Add cumin seeds when all the mustard seeds are popped
- Let the cumin seeds brown for 30 seconds and add the chopped onions, garlic and ginger. Sauté until the onions are clear
- Add chopped tomato and 1/2 cup of water and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat
- Bring the cooked dal back to the burner. Pour the Tomato onion mix to the Dal. Mix well and add more hot water if the sauce is too thick for your taste.
- In medium heat bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Add coriander leaves and ghee (if available) and serve hot
Servings : 4 people
Ready in : 45 Minutes