Fresh or Frozen raw Shrimp Cooked in Coconut Sauce. Goes well with rice or any Indian breads.
Tips for this Recipe
Can use either Frozen or Fresh Shrimp. Get uncooked shrimp with the tail on, which is more flavorful. Follow the packet instructions to thaw the shrimp if frozen. Do not overcook the shrimp.
If using dried coconut, soak in 1 cup water for 15-30 minutes ahead of time.
- 1 lb peeled, deveined shrimp
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 5 -10 curry leaves (optional)
- 2-3 stems of coriander (Cilantro)
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- Blend coconut, chili, coriander, turmeric, fenugreek and black pepper powders in a blender with 1 cup of water in high speed for 10 minutes or until fine.
- Heat the oil in a 10 inch sauce or chefs pan and add the mustard seeds when the oil is heated. Let all the seeds pop.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger and stir until browned. Add chopped onions and curry leaves Saute until the onions are clear
- Pour the coconut sauce into the pan and add salt. Boil the sauce for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato, lemon juice. Reduce the heat and cook for 2 more minutes
- Add the shrimp and cook for 5 minutes or when the shrimps turn pink.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves
- Servings : 4
- Ready in : 30 Minutes