Beans & Butternut Squash (Red Beans & Squash in Coconut Sauce)
Fresh Butternut Squash and Red Beans with Coconut Sauce. Goes well with steamy rice and fresh plain yogurt.
Tips for this Recipe
Cooking Red Beans
Soak the Beans overnight (soaking helps the beans cook fast. Soaking is not necessary if a pressure cooker is available). Add the soaked and washed beans in 1 cup of water in a 2 qt saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 min. or until soft to touch.
Alternatively, you could use canned cooked beans if available.
Soak the coconut ahead of time in 1/4 cup of water if using dried shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (4 oz ) small dried red beans
- 1 lb (8 oz) cubed butternut squash
- 1 (4 oz) cup fresh or dried shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 5-10 curry leaves
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 whole chili
- 2 tbsp finally chopped red onion or shallot
- Add the cubed and washed squash and salt to the cooked beans. Cook in medium heat for 15 min or until the squash is soft to the touch. Smash some of the squash and turn off the heat
- In a blender, mix coconut, cumin, chili powder, turmeric powder and 1/2 cup water (use 1/4 cup if using soaked coconut) and blend the mix coarsely
- Add the Coconut Sauce to the Beans Squash mix and cook for another 5 Minutes and turn off the heat
- Heat the oil in a separate 8-10 inch saucepan. Add the mustard seeds. When the seeds are completely popped add the finely chopped onion (shallot), curry leaves and the whole red chili.
- Turn off the heat when the onion (shallot) is browned. Pour this garnish over the Beans Squash curry and serve while hot
Servings : 6
Ready in : 45 Minutes